Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Reiki in the O.R.


Reiki has a profound effect on the staff in the Operating Room. I have been 'zapping' my patients for eight months now. To help them. And to help myself, in learning, and also in keeping my Reiki flowing.
If you don't use it, you lose it.

What I didn't realize until today, is that my Reiki training and focus is catching on to others that work with me in the Operating Suite. I raise my energy, and that of my patients'. But some of this healing energy must be leaking out into the room, so to speak. Today, it did not seem like work at all. Everyone was their best self, joking and having a good time. The music was so good, we laughed and said, 'This must be Club O.R.!'When my assistant popped in and asked if I needed anything, I said, 'A mirrored disco ball!' and laughed with him.  The surgeon focused. The rep (for the equipment) did not look at her watch so much, and actually left in time to go somewhere else she had to go.

Happy people are contagious. Happy people do not get off on hurting others to boost their ego (a VERY common happening in the O.R. That, and CONTROL.) Happy people enjoy their day and the people they are with.

Part of my happiness is a choice. A Reiki choice. "just for this day, I will not anger" is one line of a beautiful Reiki meditation. There are many "just for this day, I will ______" lines in this prayer.
I will share it with you another time.

If you are on the fence about Reiki, and applying it in your medical setting, reflect on how YOUR attitude will have an impact outside the scope of the caregiver-patient relationship. It has for me.

Take care, and know I love you.
Blessings, love and *light*,
ReikiDoc