Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Mai, Mai, Mai



Today I dedicate this post to my new friend, Mai. I have worked with her husband, Hung, for four years.

I want to make you laugh, Mai. On Saturday while I was at your restaurant, at the 'bar' (no ETOH served, but 'healthy choices' instead), I got a good look at the kitchen.  Here is what I think about you and your husband's work.

Hers:   Works with hungry people.
His:   Works with unconscious people.

Hers:  Customers have empty stomach.
His:   Patients are NPO past midnight.

Hers:  Works with people who wear blue bouffant hats and gloves.
His:  Works with people who wear same hats but sterile gloves and gowns. Also wears hat himself, and gloves on occasion.

Hers:  Workplace has sharp knives, equipment that can hurt you, and stainless steel tables.
His:  Workplace has scalpels, saws, and needles, in addition to equipment that can hurt you, and stainless steel tables.

Hers:  Sometimes has to deal with nasty, unhappy, angry customers.
His:  Sometimes has to deal with nasty, unhappy, angry surgeons AND patients. But the patients he can anesthetize and not have to laugh at their jokes.

Hers:  Works tirelessly to improve the health of others.
His:  Works tirelessly to improve the health of others who are sick and have to have an operation.

Hers:   Is a wonderful service to the community, a labor of love, and a source of employment for many people.
His:  Is a wonderful service to the community, a labor of love, and a source of employment for many people, including me.

There is a buzz of energy when 'it is busy' that is almost like the O.R. at your place. I felt it. For us, we are separated into our different Operating Rooms. But as the work (orders and cases, respectively) piles up, there is nothing left to do but roll up your sleeves and get the job done.  I have had glass vials break and cut me, a fire in the O.R. (no major damage to anyone, fortunately), and gotten bumps and bruises pretty much every day. I am sure you have had your share of cuts, scalds and getting bumped a lot too.

Thank you for everything and I am so glad that I could spend today with you.

Aloha, my Ohana, Auntie Mai, from our little family who loves you!

Namaste,

Reiki Doc

P.S. I think we should write some new words to this song and just keep the title. Make it about 'avoiding animal products' and 'healing'. Wouldn't that be nice have a song about you? I bet the beautiful customers you met today from Spokane, Sacramento, and Beaumont would agree <3