Friday, March 28, 2014

Your Connection To Source--Why Not Plug In A Little Better?



As you may know, I am a working anesthesiologist. I take care of anywhere from two to ten people a day. I do whatever anesthesia the surgeon requests for their cases--general, regional, local with sedation (this is called a MAC for Monitored Anesthesia Care). I am trained to do anesthesia for cardiovascular and cardiothoracic surgery; it is my specialty--I took an extra year of training, a 'fellowship' to be able to do this.

While surgeons work, and integral part of the team is the operating room table. The height of it often needs to be adjusted. It tilts side to side, and also I can make the head of the table tilt way up or way down. For example, in a routine laparoscopic cholecystectomy, which many of you may have experienced, the table is head up and I am asked to roll the patient's left side down to gain maximum exposure (view) of the gallbladder.

I have worked with OR tables the length of my career. There are some you used to have to push a lever and pump up and down on a pedal with your foot to make it go up!

Fortunately now, most OR tables are powered by electricity. There is a 'remote' that is attached by a wire, and has little buttons with pictures on it to help me know which way the table will move when I press them.

I know draw your attention to the metal flap that is covering the cord in the middle of the photo.

This is where the plug attaches to the table.

It often comes loose, or unplugged entirely, in routine preparation for the O.R. The cleaning crew moves the table to clean under it, and it doesn't matter to them if it gets plugged or not.

They are busy to the point of distraction, so 'clean is enough' and not 'putting everything back the way you found it--in working order.'

So I have to watch out for this little plug here just as I do with the health and safety of my patient to make sure the procedure goes well, and runs smoothly. (I also must check in every case to make sure the bed is 'locked' and won't move when someone pushes on it.)

Sometimes I push a slightly loose plug with my toe to jam it in a little further.

Sometimes I bend down and adjust the plug in better when it is looser.

Sometimes I get down on my hands and knees and search through all the cords to find the missing end of it, the part that fits under that flap.When I look down there is nothing there and I have to find it!

Sometimes the surgeons are patient while I hunt for it--I can find it usually and fix it in less than a minute.

Sometimes they are not patient and complain. Then there is a set of buttons that are directly under the table that the nurse can get on her hands and knees and press, and those always work--I think there is some battery or something there that makes it 'go'.

So where are you in all this?

Your body is the OR table and Spirit is the plug. Your life and everything you wish to accomplish, all your hopes and dreams, are empowered by having a working connection to Source.

Without it, the whole experience isn't going to happen as smoothly as it was designed to occur.

So, just for today, think about your Connection to Source, to All The Power There Is In The Universe.

Do what you can to strengthen it. Just like a bird that goes and takes a drink from the birdbath, your Spirit knows exactly what to do if you let it free. Your heart knows. Although you may not understand it at first, give it time, and then everything will all make sense and you will smile like the Velveteen Rabbit because you will know that Love Is The Solution For Everything, PLUS, You are Perfect and Loved, just the way you are.

All you have to do is accept it.

And all the 'juice' from that cord is going to 'attach' in the healthiest possible way, and you shall be empowered as you never have been for your destiny, your mission, your gift you share with the Universe just by being yourself, and doing what you always wished in your heart to be able to do 'one day'.

That moment is Here, Now.

Will you try it? Just for today?



Aloha nui loa
and mahalos to the Ohana of the Light.
Namaste,
Peace,


Reiki Doc