Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Eddie Would Go--In The Hospital




Who is Eddie?

I must tell you about him, in order to understand the 'gist' of today's blog post.

Eddie Aikau is an amazing Hawaiian surfer, who embodied the spirit of aloha in so many ways.

He gave his life for it. He paddled out when the Hokule'a sank in rough seas, to seek help, and he was never seen again.

Ask any Hawaiian what that means, the term, 'Eddie would go'?  They even put it on bumper stickers.






I work--metaphysically--in rough seas where HUGE waves of energy come at me from all directions. I do this to help people. And I love it.

I like it when I am the one to give the Reiki Transition Symbol during a case--nobody else would even know or think of it--but while I'm doing routine anesthesia for my patients with advanced cancer, I'm preparing them and their families for the Transition which looms ahead 'some time' in the future. I want it to be filled with grace and ease, and with an absence of regret.

I like it when I am calm, at the bedside, offering professional skill and emotional support to the patient and the family in pre-op holding;  they are overwhelmed, and I help them to ground and to feel they are in control of at least something...like they are the quarterback in their procedure they are having today.

I also see miracles.

Twice now I've seen people who through whatever reason--in the most recent case it was a firm belief in 'I will be FINE!'--where the tumor shrank, and had disappeared by the time of surgery.





The miracles are rare. In my entire career which spans over thirty years in hospitals (as a volunteer first, of course) I have seen a handful. Miraculous lines which go in. Tumors disappearing. Total heroic saves.

I have also seen a grown man reduced to tears by an attending while I was in training.

It was at the VA.

The attending was Dr. John Collins, a man who is known to have made surgery residents cry in the O.R.

The patient had metastatic bowel cancer, not quite obstructed yet, but the tumors were EVERYWHERE.

The patient, like many I have seen in my career, had a basic misunderstanding of what cancer is about. He thought it was like berries on a tree. 'Doctor, these are painful, can't you please just go in and take them off?'

The surgeon said no. We can't do that.

There was shock and horror on the patients face. He never in a million years expected this, from a doctor. He was seeking help!

He asked,  in total surprise, 'So you are telling me there is nothing you can do, and that I am going to DIE?!'

At this, my attending didn't say yes or no, but looked at the patient sadly.

Then the patient doubled over and cried huge sobs, like nothing I've ever heard, total agony, total sadness, total despair.

He was alone.

I felt powerless.

In time with my training I grew to understand the kindness on the part of the surgeon:  when tumors are everywhere inside, you have to remove much of the bowel with it, and after a point there is too much risk and too much loss of quality of life to undergo such surgery. Furthermore the tumors 'seed' through the incision, and they start to grow out through the skin, creating an even MORE painful infected mess, with fecal matter coming out in random places on the abdomen.

I asked Dr. Collins why we couldn't just give him a feeding tube like he had asked?

Dr. Collins said, 'It would only feed the tumors'

This is true. After a point, the tumors develop a life of their own, and rob the body of all nutrition. They grow at the expense of the patient.

In my career, we have advanced to the point where people don't have to die of painful obstruction. They can have an ostomy to release the pressure from the bowel--without removing any tumor, and a feeding tube placed to offer nutrition to both the patient (and the tumors) in the time they have for treatment or hospice. This is called 'Palliative Care'.







Many people who have major illnesses do not have a plan for the end.  They wish to be full-code, full-care...when perhaps a little minor disease like a pneumonia might be a better way for them to pass than if it's treated and the cancer pain gets worse.

Very few people have the courage to say, 'Enough!'

One, I met in my training. She was a former O.R. nurse. She went for her morning swim in La Jolla Cove, and felt something go wrong in her abdomen.

It was a ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm. She'd known she had it and that one day it was going to rupture. Her decision was not to treat it. (It's a huge surgery, with no guarantee of outcome; it's expensive. Many people wake up from it once it's been ruptured--with paralysis of the legs. There's a spinal artery in the area that loses blood flow. Mind you, in the years since, they can do it through the groin in the cath lab--they don't have to do the open one like back then.)

She opted for comfort care.

Comfort care is when the family is called in, and they keep dialing up the morphine 'for pain'. It's given as a drip until you stop breathing. It's basically an overdose that's medically acceptable.

So I watched her. I checked in on her and learned as the disease took its course--no pulses in the feet, pulses in the hands, and patient alert and talking. Through the day, she became obtunded. She never cried. Her daughters were crying and in the room the whole time. By the next morning, it was over.

She had told me that if it was her time to go, this is how she wanted to go, and not with the risky surgery.  I had asked her that when we were in private when she first came in and I was doing my history and physical. I asked, gently, 'There is a surgery to fix this condition; you know what you are doing, this is what you want? Are you sure?'

That's how I knew it was okay. She really thought about it, understood, and had no regrets.





This is Death Valley, California. It is one of the hottest places on earth. It's way below sea level.  Yet, it is not without beauty.

Beauty can be seen everywhere you look, if you only open your eyes, and see.

I LOVE medicine.  I always have. It interests me. I love working with my patients, my teams.  It is something I truly enjoy, and am grateful for this time around, to have something to immerse myself in as we Ascend.

It takes the sting out of things.

We are multidimensional beings.

We are multidimensional beings of Light and we Do Not Understand anything of what 'being Multi-dimensional' is about.

That's because of the Veil.

There are first incarnations, second incarnations, aspects and MORE 'out there' in this 'Multi-Dimensional Land' we might as well call, for lack of a better term, 'The Universe'.

Who are we?!

I don't like to think I am a carbon copy of something or someone from another time.

Yet I have the memories. They are just the same as the experiences I have here, in 3D, while incarnate, when I reflect on them. I pick up the emotions, the feelings on my body, the sights, the expressions, even the smells.

On Earth, we ARE our memories. In our hearts. That's what makes us who we are. Who we loved, who we helped, who we gave our lives for, just like Eddie Aikau.

We are here incarnate in the flesh, super-highly trained beings of Light--without really having a clue about it--because we are here as volunteers to save Gaia and her people who are in distress!

It you take the best, and leave the rest, it's BEAUTIFUL!

And if you're like me, when one of these Multidimensional things like the article on Mary Magdalen being the sister of the lady who wrote all the things Edgar Cayce said while he was the sleeping prophet--you get hurt. You get hurt because it makes you feel it's nothing special, these 'incarnations' are a dime a dozen. And you SEE that the 'gist' of the readings are spot on even for you here today:  painful disasters in marriage, and needing to be near water.  You also SEE that the 'entity' that sister, totally took a beautiful opportunity to help others, and totally wasted it!

So, for the record, whatever I am--it is between me and Creator.

And if whatever I am IS in fact, a 'dime a dozen', that is okay.

It is okay because I WILL it to be the most pure and valuable 'dime' there ever was that I could be, sterling silver...with my thoughts, my words, my actions, my beliefs, my heart, my willingness to help others with my gifts.

And I WILL it that through my works, I will be 'polished' to a bright, shiny, mirror-like finish.

With this finish, I WILL it that I will reflect the image of not myself, but Creator, Divine Mother, Blessed Mother Mary, and all the angels and saints--to everyone I meet.

I WILL it to 'earn the air I breathe' by living with this PURPOSE.  With all the good days and the bad days that come with it.

No matter what I am called. No matter who my incarnations be. No matter why I recall so much, and communicate so much with these same exact people who were close to me back then, NOW, in Spirit.

And no matter how much I am under the radar for the work I do, and believe me, I am, in the grand scheme of things on Earth. Which in itself, is a blessing. I can go places unnoticed, I can enjoy breakfast at Denny's with Anthony (pumpkin creme pancakes are really good!), and I can be alone in my house with some 'down time' when I need it.

Everything happens for a reason, for this we are all blessed.

Let us make the most of the time we have left, and to live each opportunity our Life Scripts present to us with ALOHA--just like Eddie Aikau.







Ross

I only want to say one thing.

Carla is with me.

Forever.

And I love her with my whole heart.






clap! clap!



Aloha and Mahalos,
Namaste,
Peace,

Ross and Carla
The Reiki Doc Twins